Client – Franklin County
Cochran was selected to provide civil design, survey, geotechnical, inspection and testing, and construction administration services to the existing Franklin County Courthouse located in Union, Missouri. The historical three-story, 90-foot square building has four similar facades and was built in 1922. This was the county’s fourth courthouse since the county was organized in 1818.
The 27,000 sf building involved renovating and upgrading the historical site for ADA compliance. Part of the Americans with Disabilities Act improvements needed were additional ramps to the main entrance on the east side of the building. The two ramps now provide direct access to the County Judicial Center and County Government Center from the main entrance and keep the focal point on the existing renovated Franklin County Historical Courthouse. The historic courtroom located in the courthouse has been returned to its original condition. The renovation maintained the existing separate entrance doors which keep the separation of clientele to each department.
Franklin County selected Cochran to provide civil and site design, survey, geotechnical, inspection & testing, and construction administration services on the new Franklin County Judicial Center. The 40,000 s.f. County Judicial Center meets ADA requirements and mirrors the design of the administration offices in the County Government Center. The new building now serves as the county courthouse and provides space for two circuit courtrooms, three associate circuit courtrooms, and the associated court support spaces including judge’s chambers, court reporters, court administrators and the clerk of courts. The judicial center is located on the northeast corner of the existing historic courthouse which is the main focus of the city center.
The Franklin County Government Center which is the administrative offices that house commissioner’s chambers, clerks, assessors, collectors, recorder of deeds, planning, and zoning, building department, and other non-judicial county offices. It is a two and a half story building featuring a rotunda that allows clear flow for people and creates a unified county. The building has been designed to accommodate future expansion without interrupting operations. The County Government Center is located on the Southeast corner and the County Judicial Center is located on the Northeast corner of the County Courthouse. The county is named after Founding Father Benjamin Franklin and a Benjamin Franklin statue sits on the grounds as well.