Cochran was selected to provide civil design, survey, geotechnical, inspection & testing and construction administration to the existing Franklin County Courthouse located in Union, Missouri. The historical three-story, 90-foot, square building has four similar facades and was built in 1922. This was the counties fourth courthouse since the county was organized in 1818.
Franklin County is part of the St. Louis Metropolitan Area. The Missouri River runs along the northern border of the county. The 27,000 square foot County Courthouse building involved renovating and upgrading the historical site for ADA compliance. Part of the Americans with Disabilities Act improvements needed were additional ramps to the main entrance on the east side of the building. The two ramps now provide direct access to the County Judicial Center and County Government Center from the main entrance and keep the focal point on the existing renovated Franklin County Historical Courthouse. The historic courtroom located in the courthouse has been returned to its original condition. The renovation maintained the existing separate entrance doors which keep the separation of clientele to each department.
The County Government Center is located on the Southeast corner and the County Judicial Center is located on the Northeast corner of the County Courthouse. Three flagpoles were placed at the east entrance, one for the U.S., Missouri, and Franklin County flags. The county is named after Founding Father Benjamin Franklin and a Benjamin Franklin statue sits on the grounds as well. The renovation of Franklin County’s historic courthouse was completed in fall 2010 as the third and final project.
Follow the links to learn more about our Engineering & Architecture services or to view additional projects. Or click to view other Municipal projects or read more about Franklin County, Missouri. Plus, follow the link for more on the first two Franklin County projects completed with Cochran.